Many people travel to Belize to enjoy its beautiful beaches and get a taste of the diverse culture and rich heritage of the country. There are many activities offered by many tour and adventure companies operating in Belize which give tourists the chance to learn and see the natural history and rich land and marine life around the country.
Canadian passport holders can travel to Belize without the need for a visa as long as they will only stay a maximum of 30 days. They must ensure that their passport is valid for more than six months of their planned travel to Belize. They must also be able to present a return ticket to their country of origin, as well as proof of substantial financial means while in Belize. They must also note that there is a departure tax to be paid when leaving Belize.
Canadian tourists who would want to stay in Belize for more than 30 days or are travelling there on business matters must apply for a visa at the Belize High Commission to Canada. The High Commission of Belize to Canada can be found in The Embassy of Belize in Washington DC, USA. They can go there personally or send their visa applications to the High Commission.
General visa requirements:
- Fully completed and signed application form
- Passport-size photograph
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months after planned travel)
- Copies of return airline tickets and/or travel itinerary
- Copy of bank statements
- Letter of employment (for business travel)
- Proof of substantial financial means while in Belize (US$60.00 daily)
- Visa application fees:
- Single entry – US$50.00 (valid for 90 days)
- Multiple entry – US$100.00
- Shipping and Handling fee – US$30.00
- “Same day” urgent processing fee – US$25.00 (optional, only applicable to applications that do not need authorization from the Director of Immigration of Belize)
- Canadian passport holders can submit their visa applications personally or send them, together with the needed requirements to the Belize High Commission to Canada in:
HIGH COMMISSION OF BELIZE TO CANADA
Embassy of Belize in Washington DC
2535 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008-2826
Telephone: (202) 332-9636
Fax: 202) 332 6888
Consular Hours: 10:00AM to 12:00PM
2:00PM to 4:00PM (Monday to Friday)
- Visa processing time usually takes 3 business days upon receipt of application, but some may take longer if there is a need for the application to be checked by the Director of Immigration of Belize. Applicants can inquire with the Embassy on how long their applications will take by calling (202) 332-9636 Ext 221.
- All fees can be paid by money order, certified check, bank draft (to the order the Embassy of Belize) and sent together with the applications. Individuals submitting their applications personally can also pay by cash at the Embassy
- Individuals leaving Belize need to pay a US$39.75 airport departure tax. This is usually paid in cash. Travelers without US dollars/cash can also use a credit or debit card, or have their money changed at a bank in the airport. They must present their passport and boarding pass to the bank teller.
- Tourists in Belize who would want to extend their stay for 30 days can apply for a 30 day extension and pay an extension fee of BZD$60.00 at any Belize Immigration Office.