Visa Requirements for Canada Passport Holders – Finland (Republic of Finland)

Canadian passport holders do not require a visa for visits to Finland provided that their stay does not exceed 90 days within a period of 6 months. However, a passport is required to enter the country. If the intended length of stay in Finland and within the Schengen area exceeds 90 days, a residence permit is required.

Passport Validity

All Canadian travelers will need a passport valid for at least 90 days following your departure date from Finland. However, it is strongly recommend traveling with 6 months validity on your passport at all times.

Passport Blank Pages

Majority of destinations, including Finland, requires that you have sufficient un-used pages in your passport, allowing for any necessary stamps upon arrival and departure. Travelers are recommended to have at least two free pages in the visa section of your passport before any international travel.
Transit Visitors

Confirm with your airline in case you have connecting flights overseas as part of your journey to Finland. Other countries you pass through en route to your destination may require a separate transit visa.


Residence permits may be issued to Canadian passport holders entering Finland who are intending to stay in the country longer than three months. A residence permit is also necessary for stays of less than three months if during this period the visitor intends to work in Finland, wherein a residence permit for an employed person is required. There are exceptions to this rule for the citizens of other Nordic countries and EU citizens and equivalent persons.

A residence permit may also be granted for study purposes at post-comprehensive-school educational institutions like universities and vocational colleges. Visitors (with the exception of Scandinavian and EU-nationals) wishing to study in Finland for more than 3 months must apply for and obtain a residence permit before leaving for Finland.

Information gathered here are subject to change without prior notice. Canadian passport holders traveling to Finland are advised to contact the following embassies for further consular information and confirmation:

Embassy of Finland

Ambassador: Mr. Ilkka Ristimäki

Commercial officer: Mr. Matti Aaltola, Counsellor, Political Affairs, Economy and Trade
Telephone: (613) 288-2233
Fax: (613) 288-2244

Finland Consulate

1400 Canadian Western Bank Place 10303
Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Telephone: (780) 421-1818 / 429-4453
Fax: (780) 429-4453

Embassy of Finland

55 Metcalfe Street, Suite 850
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 6L5
Telephone: (613) 288-2233

VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)