Click Here for the Best Honolulu Hotel Deals!
Save Big NOW on all Hotel Bookings with a $100 Cash Back Rebate!
STA Travel USA
$20 off QANTAS Airways Student Tickets at STATravel.com with code QANTAS. Valid through 3/31 so book now!
Find Last Minute Deals at hotels.com!
A Canadian citizen can travel to Malaysia without the need for a visa if they will go there as tourists. They will only need a Canadian passport that is valid for at least six months after they leave Malaysia. Canada passport holders will be allowed to stay in Malaysia for three months. If they plan on staying in Malaysia for more than three months, they will have to apply with any office or branch of the Malaysian Immigration Department for additional days or months in Malaysia. They typically give foreign visitors two-month extensions.
If a Canadian passport holder is going to Malaysia for other reasons such as business, work or studies, they will be required to get a visa before they travel to Malaysia. They can apply for a visa at either the High Commission for Malaysia in Ottawa, or at the Consulate General of Malaysia in Vancouver. If they will be working in Malaysia, the company that will hire them must get them an authorization or clearance from any of the following: the Malaysian Industrial Development Authority (MIDA), JKT, or the Standing Committee for Malaysianisation. They must wait for the authorization before they apply for a visa and employment pass. Another option is that the Malaysian company can have the Canadian passport holder travel to Malaysia on a temporary employment status using a social visit pass, although the Canadian government highly advises Canadian citizens against choosing this option since they can encounter problems when applying for change in their status once they are in Malaysia.
The High Commission for Malaysia in Ottawa or The Consulate General of Malaysia in Vancouver can also be contacted for further information and updates about travelling and travel requirements to Malaysia,
Visa application requirements:
- Canadian passport (valid for at least 6 months)
- Fully accomplished and signed visa application form
- Certified copy of travel itinerary or airline tickets
- Proof of sufficient financial capability
- Bank statements
- Traveler’s cheques
- Approved entry permit applied for by Malaysian sponsor or company with the Immigration Department of Malaysia
- Employment letter from Malaysian company (for applicant who will work in Malaysia)
- Prepaid self-addressed envelope (for applications sent by mail to the Malaysian High Commission in Ottawa)
- Visa application fees:
- Single entry – CAD$25.00
- Multiple entry – CAD$50.00
- Visa processing is done in 5 business days as long as application is submitted with complete documents.
- Visa fees at the High Commission in Ottawa are payable by Money order to the High Commission of Malaysia. For The Consulate in Vancouver, visa fees can only be paid by cash. All fees are non-refundable.
- Canadians must carry their passport with them at all times while in Malaysia.
- Travelers should remember not to overstay in Malaysia. Overstaying is considered as a crime in Malaysia, and anyone caught will be arrested, asked to pay penalties, and either be put in jail or deported.
- All travelers arriving and leaving Malaysia are required to fill up a Traveler’s Declaration Form. They will not be allowed to bring with them more than US$10,000 if they are not authorized to do so. When they leave Malaysia, they will only be allowed to carry with them money not exceeding the amount they declared when they arrived.
- For tourist’s stay extension in Malaysia, the main office of the Malaysian Immigration Department is located at:
Headquarters of the Department of Immigration, Malaysia
Level 1-7 (Podium) No 15
Persiaran Perdana, Precint 2
- Visa applications can be submitted personally by appointment at the Malaysian High Commission in Ottawa. Visa applications can also be sent by mail. They are open Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 4:30PM
High Commission for Malaysia in Ottawa
- Visa applications at the Malaysian Consulate in Vancouver can only be done in person. They are open Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 4:30PM
Consulate General of Malaysia – Vancouver
Suite 1805 Terasen Centre
1111 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 4M3
Telephone: +1-604-685 9550
Fax: +1-604-685 9520