Click Here for the Best Honolulu Hotel Deals!
Save Big NOW on all Hotel Bookings with a $100 Cash Back Rebate!
STA Travel USA
$20 off QANTAS Airways Student Tickets at STATravel.com with code QANTAS. Valid through 3/31 so book now!
Find Last Minute Deals at hotels.com!
Countries have specific prerequisites for travelers to be allowed to enter their territory and stay for a Specified amount of time. Canadian passport holders who plan on traveling to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) or North Korea need to have a valid passport and a visa. They can only apply for a visa from another country that has diplomatic ties with North Korea.
Most travelers who got to North Korea either join tours to Korea or apply for a DPRK visa at the Embassy of DPRK in Beijing. Most of foreign travelers go into DPRK by way of China, which means a Canadian passport holder would also need a Chinese visa to travel to Beijing. They must apply for a Chinese tourist visa with multiple entries since they will be travelling back to China after they are done with their travel to North Korea. Majority of tour groups also get the visas of the people that join their tours from the North Korean embassy in Beijing.
General Chinese Tourist Visa Requirements:
- Canadian passport (valid for 6 months and has blank pages)
- Fully accomplished visa application form, with signature.
- One passport sized photograph with white background
- Paid application fees:
- Single Entry: CAD $50.00
- Double Entry: CAD $75.00
- 6-month multiple entry: CAD $100.00
- 1 year multiple entry: CAD $150.00
- Rush same day visa release: CAD $50.00
- Rush visa: CAD $35.00 (2nd or 3rd day)
- Chinese visa applications can be submitted in person or by representative as long as the applications form is signed and all documents are complete.
- Chinese visa applications can be done personally in either the Chinese Embassy or in any of its consulates.
The Embassy of the People’s Republic of China
515 St. Patrick Street
Telephone: (613) 789-9608
Fax: (613) 789-1414
Areas served: Ottawa Region, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
240 St. George Street
Telephone: (416) 964-7260 / 964-8861 (24 Hours)
Fax: (416) 324-9010
Areas served: Ontario and Manitoba
3380 Granville Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Telephone: (604) 736-5188 / 734-0704 / 736-3955 (24 Hours)
Fax: (604) 737-0154
Areas served: British Columbia and Yukon
Suite 100, 1011-6th Ave.
S. W. Calgary, Alberta
Telephone: (403) 264-3322
Areas served: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- Processing time for visas usually takes 4 days. There is a same day and 2nd/3rd day rush service offered for a certain amount. However, the Chinese Embassy has advised in their website that applicants submit their applications one month before their intended date of travel.
- Applications can also be submitted through mail or courier via travel agents or companies. One travel company is the Golden Mile 2000 Travel Consultant.
Golden Mile 2000 Travel Consultant
203-1390 Prince of Wales Dr.
- Canadian passport holders must bring extra copies of their passport and pictures for their application for DPRK visa in Beijing.
- For additional information on travel and visa requirements for North Korea, inquiries may be addressed to:
Permanent Mission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
To the United Nations
820 Second Avenue
New York, New York
Telephone: (212) 972-3105 / 3106
Fax: (212) 972-3154