United States Visa online
STA Travel USA
Save $20 off any Air New Zealand student ticket from STA Travel when you use promo code NEWZEALAND at statravel.com. Valid through 3/31.
United Kingdom Visa online
Save between $20 and $100 on all Hotel Bookings Now with hotels.com!
Canadian citizens are allowed to travel for tourist and business purposes and stay in Switzerland for up to 90 days without visas, provided that they have Canadian passports that are valid for at least the expected duration of stay. It is, however, strongly advised that Canadians ensure their passports are valid for at least 6 months for all international travel.
Aside from a valid passport, a Canadian traveling to Switzerland must also be able to present proof of sufficient financial means to cover the cost of stay, documents to support the purpose of their visit and travel medical insurance.
Those intending to study and work in Switzerland must apply for the appropriate visas well in advance of their planned travel.
General Requirements – Student and Work Visa:
- 4 recent passport photographs (must follow Schengen photo requirements). Digital photos are not accepted.
- If applicable, original and photocopy of proof of residency in Canada (valid Canadian permanent residency card, or valid Canadian visa).
- Visa fee and additional postage fee.
- For longer than 3 months’ stay: 3 visa application forms (Type D), fully accomplished and duly signed. Applicants must indicate their email address and telephone number.
- 2 copies of valid Canadian passport or travel document.
- For Student Visa:
- 2 copies of confirmation or registration letter from the school/university in Switzerland.
- 2 copies of confirmation of payment of school tuition fees.
- Statement indicating accurate details of income and assets, with official proof and/or bank statements (2 copies).
- 2 copies of previous diplomas and school certificates.
- 2 copies of written affirmation by the applicant that he/she will leave Switzerland upon completion of studies.
- 2 copies of resume (biographical data, schools attended, etc.).
- 2 copies of motivation letter detailing the applicant’s future plans.
- For Work Visa:
- 2 copies of employment letter or contract.
- The Consular Officer reserves the right to ask for additional documentation to support visa applications when deemed necessary.
- Visa processing usually takes up to 4 months, so applications should be lodged well in advance of planned departure.
- Once the authorization to approve visa application has been given, applicants will have to send the following documents to the competent Consulate General in order to obtain the visa:
- Original passport or travel document
- If applying by mail: One prepaid, self-addressed return envelope with tracking number.
Visa Processing Fee:
The fee must be paid either in cash, by certified cheque (made payable to the competent Consulate General or Embassy) or by money order when submitting the application. If the application is sent by mail, a bank draft or money order is required.
- Adults and children over 12 years old: CAD81.00
- Children 6-12 years old: CAD48.00
The information provided here is subject to change without prior notice. It is the Canadian traveler’s responsibility to verify visa and entry requirements to Switzerland in advance of their departure.
Embassy of Switzerland
5 Marlborough Avenue
Telephone: (613) 235-1837
Fax: (613) 563-1394
1572. Dr. Penfield Avenue
Telephone: (514) 932-7181
Fax: (514) 932-9028
154 University Avenue, Suite 601
Telephone: (416) 593-5371
Fax: (416) 593-5083
World Trade Center
790-999 Canada Place
Vancouver, British Columbia
Telephone: (604) 684-2231
Fax: (604) 684-2806