For Canadian passport holders to travel and enter Turkmenistan, a valid passport, visa and a letter of invitation from the person or organization being visited in Turkmenistan is required. This letter must be certified by the State Foreign Citizens Registration Service of Turkmenistan. Those traveling as tourists and will not be meeting anyone in Turkmenistan must contact the State Tourism Corporation of Turkmenistan “Turkmen Siyahat” to assist them in planning their visit and provide them with a certified letter.
Telephone: (+993-12) 35-47-77 / 39-86-91
Fax: (+993-12) 39-67-40 / 33-77-71
- 2 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application forms with recent passport size photographs glued to each form. Do not staple the photographs to the form. In the application, dates should be supplied in this format: day-month-year.
- Canadian passport with validity of 6 months beyond the date of departure from Turkmenistan together with a photocopy of the passport ID page, bearing the applicant’s details and photograph.
- Letter of invitation from the person or company to be visited or a travel agency in Turkmenistan, certified by the State Foreign Citizens Registration Service of Turkmenistan. This invitation is valid for only 3 months from the date of approval.
- If staying for more than 3 months in Turkmenistan: Certificate from a doctor detailing that the applicant does not have HIV/AIDS.
- For legal resident aliens: Valid visa for re-entry into their country of residence and a copy of their Resident Alien Card.
- For applications lodged by mail: Self-addressed, stamped envelope or prepaid courier package for the return of the passport.
- Money order payable to “Embassy of Turkmenistan”. Declined money orders will be subject to a $35 Return Fee. See Visa Cost Schedule for a list of the applicable fees.
Visas are processed within 5-10 business days. Expedited processing is possible (3 business days) for an additional 100% of the cost of the visa, provided that the application is complete and the paperwork is in order.
All foreigners must complete a migration card and pay a migration fee upon arrival at an airport or border entry point. A copy is kept by immigration officials, while the other should be carried by visitors at all times for the duration of their stay in Turkmenistan. This must also be surrendered upon departure.
Those planning to stay for more than 3 working days must register their arrival with the State Migration Service. They must also de-register with that same office at least 1 day prior to departure.
The information provided here is subject to change without prior notice. Canadian travelers have the responsibility of contacting the Embassy of Turkmenistan in advance of their departure to obtain and confirm the most up-to-date visa, entry and exit requirements.