All Canadian passport holders are required to secure an Afghan visa before arriving in the country. Afghan entry visas are not available at Kabul International Airport, and Canadians arriving in the country without an entry visa may encounter serious difficulties, which could result in deportation. The Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa, as well as the Consulate General of Afghanistan in Toronto issue entry visas to individuals residing in, and/or applying from Canada.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed application form.
- Passport with at least 3 months validity past the end date of the visa that is being applied for.
- Two passport-sized photos attached to the appropriate box on the application form. (Photos must be recent and identical, taken directly off the face with both ears visible and with a light background)
- Documentary proof confirming your current address in the U.K. (driver’s license, utility bills, municipal papers, etc.)
- For employment or business visa: Documentation from present or prospective employer or the organization concerned indicating the purpose of visit.
- Visa processing fee paid by money order or bank cheque made payable to ‘The Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa’.
- For ‘fast-track service’: Additional CAD 70 to the fee amount.
- For postal applications: Return postal cost of CAD 20 must be added to the visa processing fee amount, or an enclosed prepaid, registered, self-addressed return envelope.
- Applications will be processed in order of receipt of the Embassy.
- Incomplete applications and documents will not be processed.
- Applications for entry visas can be made either by post or in person.
- Applicants are advised to avoid making travel arrangements prior to obtaining their entry visas. The Embassy will not be held responsible for any delay in obtaining your visas or any changes made to your travel plans.
Visa Processing Fee:
Visa processing fee must be paid in Canadian dollars by money order or bank cheque made payable to ‘The Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa’. Other currencies will not be accepted. Payments by cash, personal cheques or bank transfer will also not be accepted. A single certified bank cheque or money order that covers the total amount due may be submitted in case of multiple passports or payments of return postal charges. Payment must be sent together with the application form.
- One month, single entry visitor’s visa processed within 5 working days: CAD 60
- One month, double entry visitor’s visa (issued in exceptional circumstances) processed within 5 working days: CAD 90
- Three months, multiple entry visa (issued in exceptional circumstances) processed within 5 working days: CAD 120
- Six months, multiple entry visa (issued in exceptional circumstances) processed within 5 working days: CAD 220
- One year, multiple entry visa (issued in exceptional circumstances) processed within 5 working days: CAD 400
- Transit visa, single entry processed within 5 working days: CAD 60
- Transit visa, multiple entry processed within 5 working days: CAD 90
- Any visas for Diplomatic and Service passport holders: Free of charge
- Entry permit for travelers of Afghan descent holding non-Afghan passports: Free of charge
- Permanent employees of the United Nations, Red Cross and other particular inter-governmental bodies: Free of charge
- Extra charge for ‘fast-track processing’ of visa applications (processed within 24 hours): CAD 70
- Postage cost: CAD 20 (or enclose a prepaid, registered, self-addressed envelope)
Important Notice: Postal applications must be sent by Registered Mail to:
Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa (Consular Section)
240 Argyle Avenue
Ottawa, ON K2P 1B9
The Embassy will not be held responsible for any loss of documents which are not sent as registered post.
Please note that the rules and regulations for Visa entry to Afghanistan by Canadian passport holders are subject to change at any time.