Click Here for the Best Honolulu Hotel Deals!
Save Big NOW on all Hotel Bookings with a $100 Cash Back Rebate!
STA Travel USA
$20 off QANTAS Airways Student Tickets at STATravel.com with code QANTAS. Valid through 3/31 so book now!
Find Last Minute Deals at hotels.com!
It is the right of every country or region in the world to set necessary conditions for people who want to enter or pass through their territory. These may be in the form of visas, travel permits or consent letters. Other territories just require individuals from certain countries their passport as a form of travel and identification document.
For people traveling to Austria, it is not required to obtain an entry visa to Austria if their passport came from a country which is part of visa-exempt countries. This is also applicable to the whole Shengen Zone, which Austria is part of. The Schengen zone is made up 25 countries, which include Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Canadian passport holders are allowed to enter Austria (and the Schengen Zone) and stay in the country for not more than 90 days without the need for a visa. But if the individual plans on staying for more than 90 days but less than 180 days, will work in Austria for less than 6 months, or studying in Austria, they must obtain a visa from the Austrian Embassy in Ottawa, Canada.
Visa applications should be done personally at the Austrian Embassy, and applicants must bring all the required documents with them when they visit the embassy.
General visa application requirements
- Valid Canadian passport (at least three months validity)
- Fully accomplished visa application form (2 copies)
- Colored passport photos (2 copies, signed at the back)
- Detailed and complete travel itinerary and airline tickets
- Travel insurance/accident/health insurance with worldwide coverage (CAD $50,000.00 minimum coverage, insurance company must have Austria partner or in any EU member)
- For non-Canadian citizens: Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or long-term Canadian visa (original copies, visitor visa not accepted)
- For applicants under 18: written parental/guardian consent
- Photocopies of ALL supporting documents (one copy each)
- For individuals staying more than 90 days (less than 180 days):
- Bank statement (recent and authenticated by issuing bank)
- Proof of Canadian employment and income (last 3 months)
- Austrian tour confirmation/accommodation details
- Letter of invitation
- For applicants working for less than 6 months: Sicherungsbescheinigung (obtained at the Austrian labor office or AMS by the Austrian company)
- For applicants who will study in Austria:
- Birth certificate
- Means of subsistence(around CAD$ 1,000.00 monthly while in Austria)
- Letter of admission from Austrian school or university (original copy)
- Letter of confirmation (issued by Canadian college or university)
- Police clearance (very recent)
- Proof of Austrian accommodation
- Visa applications should be done at least three weeks before planned travel, since visas are not released for same-day travel.
- For those that want their documents returned by mail, a self-addressed, stamped envelope should be included with the application. If they want their documents returned using a courier service or overnight mail, they should include the necessary envelope and postage. The Austrian Embassy will not be responsible for any loss after they have mailed the documents.
- Visa application fee of CAD$135.00 should have been paid when submitting the application.
- Applications are done at the following address:
Embassy of Austria in Ottawa, Canada