Both the Philippines and Malaysia are members of the ASEAN, or the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. Because of this relationship between the two countries, Philippine passport holders can travel to Malaysia without the need for a visa if they will only stay there for one month or 30 days. All they need is a valid Philippine passport.
If a Philippine passport holder plans on traveling to Malaysia and will stay there for more than 30 days but less than 59 days, he or she will need to obtain a visa before traveling there. The visa applied for will be free of charge. A Philippine passport holder will also need a visa if they will travel and stay in Malaysia for 60 days or more. They will have to get a visa with reference (VWR) before their planned travel to Malaysia. Their contacts or host in Malaysia will also have to secure for them a letter of authorization or approval for VWR from the Malaysian Department of Immigration. The original letter of approval will be included in the visa application.
Philippine citizens who are owners of diplomatic or official passports do not need visas when traveling to Malaysia.
Visa application requirements
- Philippine passport (valid for not less than 6 months, original and 2 photocopies)
- Fully accomplished visa application form (2 copies)
- 2 passport sized photograph
- Roundtrip airline tickets (original and 2 photocopies)
- Letter of approval Malaysian Department of Immigration (original copy)
- Visa (VWR) fee: RM36.00 (paid in Philippine Peso)
- Travelers must remember to check and not exceed the allowed number of days they can stay in Malaysia. They can be arrested and detained if they overstay in Malaysia.
- There are cases when women who are pregnant for 6 months are not allowed to enter Malaysia.
- Malaysia is very strict when it comes to prohibited and illegal drugs. Travelers who get caught carrying these substances will be arrested and can be sentenced to death.
- Malaysian immigration and custom officials sometimes inspect the contents of bags and luggage of travelers. They will have the owner present and unload the contents of their bags in order to ensure that nothing will get lost or broken and that the search and inspection was done properly.
- For VWR applications and more information, inquiries and updates regarding travel to Malaysia, interested individuals may get in touch with the Malaysian Embassy in Manila or the Consulate General of Malaysia in Davao City.
Embassy of Malaysia in Manila
10th – 11th Floor
The World Center Building
No. 330, Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue
Telephone: (+632) 864-0761 to 68
Fax: (+632) 864-0727 / 864-0724
Consulate General of Malaysia in Davao City