Any individual planning on travelling to, or visiting The Republic of Benin, need to have a visa before entering the country. This includes citizens from the United Kingdom. UK passport holders may get a visa to be allowed entry to Benin by applying at the Consulate of The Republic of Benin in London. The visa applied for is for visitor or tourist visas only. They should also remember to get their passports stamped by Benin Immigration officials upon exit of the country in order to avoid any future problems.
The only nationalities allowed to enter Benin visa free are people from countries of the Agreement and the Economic Community of West African (ECOWAS).
General visa application requirements
- Fully completed Benin visa application form (with signature and date of application)
- UK passport valid for duration of stay in Benin
- One passport size photograph
- Trip itinerary from travel agency and/or photocopy of return tickets
- Vaccination certification for yellow fever, malaria and typhoid
- Prepaid registered or recorded delivery envelope (larger than passport)
- Visa application fees:
- 15 day single entry £50
- 30 day single entry £60
- 30 day double entry £70
- 90 day single entry £70
- 90 day double entry £80
- 90 day triple entry £90
- Visa applications can be done personally, or sent by mail to:
Republic of Benin, UK consulate, London
Millennium Business Centre
London NW2 6DW
Telephone: (020) 8830-8612
Fax: (020) 8830-8925
- The Consulate is open to the public on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 10:30AM to 4:00PM.
- Visa processing can be done on the same day for applications done in person at the Consulate, and may take up to 2 days for applications sent by mail.
- All approved visas and passports will be sent back to the applicant through the pre-paid registered or recorded delivery envelope included with the application.
- An additional £5.00 for the return postage is required for applicants from the Republic of Ireland.
- Application fees cannot be paid by credit or debit cards
Travelers who are already in Benin and who wish to stay beyond the allowed 90 days are advised to request for an extension before the end of their allowed stay at the Immigration Service of the Ministry of Interior, Security and Decentralization in Cotonou, Benin.