British passport holders who are described as British citizens are allowed to travel to Luxembourg without a visa for stays of up to 90 days for pleasure or business purposes. Those holding British passport holders whose nationality is shown as anything other than British citizen are advised to contact the Luxembourg Embassy to determine the need for a visa before traveling.
The passport must be current and valid for at least 3 months beyond the date of departure from Luxembourg. Additionally, evidence of sufficient funds as well as a return or onward airline tickets will have to be presented.
British travelers who will need a visa to enter Luxembourg are required to submit the following:
General Requirements – Schengen Visa:
- Passport or official travel document that is accepted by Schengen countries. This must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date of departure from Luxembourg.
- 1 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form.
- Documentary proof of purpose of visit:
- Business – Invitation letter from business contact in Luxembourg.
- Visit to friends and family – Official invitation engagement de prise en charge signed by the host’s local authorities and countersigned by the Luxembourg Visa Department. This must be accompanied by 3 wage slips from the host along with a certified copy of his/her passport and his/her residence permit (if applicable).
- Tourism – Confirmed hotel booking and confirmed return or onward airline ticket (to be shown only once the visa is granted).
- Documentary evidence of sufficient financial means to cover the cost of duration of stay in Luxembourg (traveler’s cheques, credit cards or bank statement).
- Travel medical insurance valid for the duration of stay.
- Proof of obligation to return to country of permanent residence:
- For the employed – Letter from employer.
- For the self-employed – Letter from solicitor, accountant or Chamber of Commerce. Business references may also be required.
- For the student – Letter from the school, college or university verifying his or her attendance.
- Additional requirements may be required by the Consular Officer as he/she deems necessary.
Visa Processing Fee:
The equivalent of € 60 in £ Sterling is charged for all Schengen visas. This fee is non-refundable. Travelers are advised that the Sterling fluctuates against the Euro.
Important Notice: Bearers of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control and are not guaranteed entry into any of the Schengen countries despite the fact that they are in possession of a valid visa.
British passport holders are encouraged to obtain up-to-date information regarding visa requirements to Luxembourg by contacting:
Embassy of Luxembourg
27 Wilton Crescent
Telephone: (020) 7235-6961
Fax: (020) 7235-9734