UK passport holders can travel to Malaysia as tourists without the need for visas. All they need are UK passports with validity of not less than 6 months and airline tickets from the place of their origin. They can stay in Malaysia for as long as three months. If they would like to stay longer, they can apply for an extension at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia. The extension given is usually up to two months.
If a UK passport holder is traveling to Malaysia for other reasons than tourism, they should obtain a visa before traveling to Malaysia. They can apply for a visa at the Immigration Department of The Malaysia High Commission in London.
Visa application requirements
- UK passport with validity of at least six months (original and photocopy)
- Fully completed visa application form
- Passport-sized photograph
- Proof of financial means
- Bank statements (3 months)
- Certificate of employment (if applicable)
- Tax certificates
- Proof of accommodations in Malaysia
- Copies of travel itinerary or airline tickets
- For students: Proof of enrollment in University or school
- Invitation letter from sponsor (if requested by Embassy)
- Personal information of sponsor
- Details of applicant’s travel
- Proof of financial capability of sponsor
- Paid visa application fee:
- Single Entry – £10.00
- Multiple Entry (3 -12 months) – £20.00
- Travelers must not go to Malaysia without the proper documents. They should also observe the allowed number of days they are given. If they are caught without required travel documents or overstaying, they will have to pay penalties and be arrested and deported.
- Travelers must avoid traveling to Sabah if possible. There are reported threats against foreign nationals who go to Sabah.
- Tourists must be vigilant and keep themselves safe at all times. There are numerous incidences of petty crimes such as muggings and pickpockets
- Travelers are expected to follow and respect local culture and religious practices in Malaysia.
- Visa fees are non-refundable
- For visa applications and more information about traveling to Malaysia:
The Malaysian High Commission in London