United States Visa online
STA Travel USA
Save $20 off any Air New Zealand student ticket from STA Travel when you use promo code NEWZEALAND at statravel.com. Valid through 3/31.
United Kingdom Visa online
Save between $20 and $100 on all Hotel Bookings Now with hotels.com!
UK passport holders traveling to Sri Lanka are required to have a visa. Presently, British nationals receive a 30-day visit visa, free of charge, on arrival. All other types of visas should be obtained before traveling at a Sri Lankan High Commission or Embassy.
In August 2010 the Government of Sri Lanka has announced its target to suspend visas on arrival. The embassy is awaiting confirmation of the date of that this will be put into action. UK passport holders should contact the nearest Sri Lankan diplomatic representation for full details.
- Duly completed visa application form (IM 32)
- Two recent photographs – passport size – (Color or Black and White)
- Valid passport with one unused visa page (passport should be valid for six months from the date of departure from Sri Lanka – after the intended visit)
- Additional requirements mentioned under respective visa categories
- Relevant Visa fee
- For tourist visa:
- Prior visa should be obtained by any tourist who wishes to stay over 30 days. (Irrespective of nationality) from the High Commission closest to the applicant. This visa will be granted for a maximum period of 90 days.
- Any tourist who wishes to stay over 90 days should directly apply to the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration (CG, I&E) and obtain prior approval before entering Sri Lanka.
- For business visa:
- A letter from the company or organization in the UK recommending the issuance of visa and giving details of the status of the applicant, nature of business, duration of stay, availability of funds, and details of the party in Sri Lanka with whom the business is to be conducted.
- Business organization or the NGO in Sri Lanka should submit the application for work / resident visa on behalf of the applicant directly to the Controller General, Immigration and Emigration (CG, I & E). The CG, I & E will then authorize this High Commission to issue entry visa to the applicant.
- A letter from the company/organization in Sri Lanka recommending the issuance of visa to the applicant
- For multiple entry business visa:
- A letter from the company or organization in the UK recommending the issuance of one year multiple entry business visa and giving details of the status of the applicant, nature of business, duration of stay, availability of funds, and details of the party in Sri Lanka with whom the business is to be conducted.
- A letter from the company/organization in Sri Lanka recommending the issuance of one year multiple entry business visa
- For transit visa:
- British nationals can obtain a landing endorsement from Colombo airport if they wish to leave the airport and enter the country as tourists during the transit.
Information gathered here are subject to change without prior notice. UK passport holders traveling to Sri Lanka are encouraged to contact the Embassy of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka for consular consultation and further information and confirmation:
Sri Lanka High Commission
13, Hyde Park Gardens
Telephone: (020) 7262-1841
Fax: (020) 7262-7970