Click Here for the Best Honolulu Hotel Deals!
Save Big NOW on all Hotel Bookings with a $100 Cash Back Rebate!
STA Travel USA
$20 off QANTAS Airways Student Tickets at STATravel.com with code QANTAS. Valid through 3/31 so book now!
Find Last Minute Deals at hotels.com!
British nationals require a valid passport, a visa and a letter of invitation certified by the State Migration Service (SMS) in order to travel to and enter Turkmenistan. The letter of invitation will have to be issued by a private individual in the case of foreigners visiting family or friends, or a company, department or organization in the case of foreigners visiting on business. Tourists without acquaintances in the territory can obtain a letter of invitation from authorized travel agents in Turkmenistan. Upon receipt of an approved letter of invitation, British nationals can then apply for the appropriate visa at the Embassy of Turkmenistan.
All foreigners require visas when transiting Turkmenistan by train. Those holding a valid transit visa can be registered at entry and exit points as long as they don’t stay for more than 5 days.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form with a recent passport size photograph glued to the form. Do not staple the photographs to the form. In the application, dates should be supplied in this format: day-month-year.
- Passport with at least 6 months of validity left beyond the duration of intended stay in Turkmenistan. The passport must also have 1 blank page left. Amendment pages do not count.
- Letter of invitation from the person or company to be visited or a travel agency in Turkmenistan, certified by the State Migration Service of Turkmenistan. This invitation is valid for only 3 months from the date of approval.
- For applications lodged by mail: Self-addressed, stamped envelope or prepaid courier package for the return of the passport. Please contact the Consular Office before sending documents.
- Money order payable to the Embassy of Turkmenistan. See list of applicable fees.
- For transit visa: All of the above except for letter of invitation. Transit visa fees are to be paid on the date of collection only. The following documents must also be submitted:
- Letter from applicant describing their travel schedule addressed to the Embassy of Turkmenistan.
- Copies of the visas for the countries prior to arrival to (if applicable) and upon departure from Turkmenistan.
- Incomplete visa applications will not be accepted or processed.
- Visa applications are processed within 7-10 business days. Expedited processing is possible (3 business days) for an additional 100% of the cost of the visa, provided that the application is complete and the paperwork is in order.
All foreigners are required to obtain a migration card upon arrival and pay a US$12 migration fee.
Inviting private individuals, employers or organizations must register a foreigner within 3 days of their arrival with the SMS. Tourists are to be registered by their travel agent. The SMS will need 2 passport size photographs of the visiting foreigner as well as a letter from the host detailing the visitor’s date of departure from Turkmenistan.
British nationals are also advised to register with the British Embassy in Ashgabat if they are staying for more than 3 days.
British Embassy in Ashgabat
Telephone: +99 312 36 34 98
Fax: +99 312 36 34 65
Online registration is also available under Consular Services on the British Embassy website.
Those traveling to Turkmenistan and are intending to remain there for more than 3 months to work, study or for private reasons are required to submit an HIV certificate.
The above-mentioned requirements are subject to change. It is strongly advised that British passport holders consult with the Embassy of Turkmenistan to confirm the precise regulations and requirements well in advance of their planned travel.
Embassy of Turkmenistan
St George’s House
14/17 Wells Street
Telephone: (020) 7255 1071
Fax: (020) 7323 9184