British citizens or passport holders are not required to secure a visa to enter and stay in Canada for a short period of time. A passport that is valid for 6 months is recommended.
Other categories of British citizens, however, should confirm requirements before making any travel plans to Canada.
A visitor from the UK to Canada must:
- Be healthy. A doctor’s examination might be required of an individual.
- Respect Canadian laws.
- Present a valid passport, proof of identification and/or proof of citizenship.
In some cases, a letter of invitation may also be required.
General Requirements – Working Holiday Visa:
Canada has reciprocal Working Holiday Program with a limited number of countries. Read below for the requirements for United Kingdom citizens.
- Age Requirement – Those wishing to obtain a working holiday visa must be between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of application. The application form must be stamped as received by the Embassy of Canada in France on or after an individual’s 18th birthday, or on or before an individual’s 31st birthday.
- Provide proof of residency in the UK for at least 3 years prior to application.
- Present a passport that is valid for a minimum of 24 months plus the processing time.
- Proof of sufficient funds for the first 3 months of stay should be submitted at a Port of Entry in Canada. The available funds must be at approximately £650 or CAD1,000 per month.
- Register with a licensed insurance company that operates in Canada for a comprehensive insurance package (including health care, hospitalization, and repatriation) that will be valid for the duration of stay in the country. It is advised for an individual to wait until the application has been approved before purchasing the insurance. Evidence of insurance coverage is required to be presented to immigration officials upon arrival in Canada.
- Payment for the required fees.
- From the date of issue of the “Letter of Introduction”, a British national has up to 12 months to enter Canada. The letter includes the deadline for which an individual must present him/herself at a Canadian port of entry to obtain the work permit. The Working Holiday Visa authorizes an individual to work up to 12 months from the date of entry into the country.
- There are no restrictions on the type of employment a person can engage in. Medical and education based employment will require a person to undergo a medical examination.
- Multiple entries are permitted. However, while person is out of the country, the time allotted in his or her work visa will not be put on hold.
General Requirements – Study Permit:
UK students who are planning to study for more than 6 months are required to obtain a study permit to be able to study in Canada.
For more information on visa requirements for UK citizens and passport holders, please contact:
The Canadian High Commission
1 Grosvenor Square
The Immigration Division of the Canadian High Commission
38 Grosvenor Street