US citizens intending to visit Nigeria must first obtain the necessary visa before traveling to the country, as visas are not issued upon arrival. No foreigner can legally depart Nigeria without proving, by presenting their entry visas, that they have entered Nigeria legally.
General Requirements – Tourist and Business Visa:
- Fully completed online visa application form, printed and duly signed.
- Current passport with at least 6 months validity.
- Confirmation of online visa fee payment.
- 2 passport-size photographs.
- Letter of Invitation from host or confirmed hotel reservation.
- For non-US passport holders: Proof of legal residency (photocopy of Green Card).
- For those under age 16:
- Copy of birth certificate.
- Signed Letter of Consent from both parents.
- Photocopies of both parents’ passport (bio-data page) or valid ID.
- All applications submitted for processing by mail should be sent through FedEx, DHL, UPS or USPS Express Mail and should come with similar self-addressed return envelope. All visa applications lodged to the Embassy by mail must have tracking numbers.
- All visa applications and payment of fees should be made through the Nigeria Immigration Website. After completing the online form, applicants must print and sign the form. Applicants should then proceed to the payments section and make the payment. The confirmation of payment should be printed out and attached to the application form.
- All the above-mentioned documents, together with the confirmation of payment are to be mailed to the Embassy of Nigeria with a processing fee of US$20 per application. Processing fee should be paid by money order addressed to the Embassy of Nigeria. Expedited processing services are also available for US$85, payable by money order addressed to the Embassy of Nigeria.
US travelers should check with the Embassy of Nigeria for the most up-to-date information available before lodging their applications and planning their trip.
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
3519 International Court NW
Telephone: (202) 986-8400
Fax: (202) 362-6541
Website: http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/ / www.immigration.gov.ng