A valid US passport, onward/return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds are required for US citizens visiting Sri Lanka. Sri Lankan Immigration provides a no-cost visa-on-arrival which is valid for 30 days to tourists. Those traveling to Sri Lanka for purposes other than tourism (e.g. business, religious work, volunteering, or working) are required to obtain an entry visa from the nearest Sri Lankan Embassy or Consulate before traveling to the country. All foreigners entering Sri Lanka on a tourist visa cannot change their visa to a non-tourist one. Engaging in activities other than tourism without the appropriate visa can lead to deportation.
US passport holders may visit Sri Lanka for 30 days without obtaining a visa prior to arrival in Sri Lanka, as long as they are traveling as bona fide tourists with valid passports and travel tickets for their onward journey. US passport holders may obtain a 30 day visa free of charge upon arrival in Sri Lanka.
Those visiting the country for more than 30 days are required to obtain visas and should contact the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington DC for further information and visa fees.
- Original US passport valid for 6 months beyond stay, having at least one blank visa page available for visa stamp(s). Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for visa stamps.
- One Sri Lankan visa application form per applicant properly completed and signed. Signature must be original on each application.
- Two (2) recent 2 x 2 passport type photographs, in color, front view and with a plain/light background
- A letter of invitation from sponsor (either host company or individual) in Sri Lanka, explaining the relationship to the applicant and the purpose of travel. In addition to this, the letter must indicate the length of stay, place of stay, and contact information.
- A business letter from employer or sponsoring company in the US, on company letterhead, introducing the applicant, indicating the applicant’s employment status/position held in the company, and clearly stating the purpose of visit. The business letter must also indicate who will be financially responsible for the applicant and must provide detailed contact information in host country.
- Proof of Departure: Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or travel agency or copy of airline tickets.
Information gathered here are subject to change without prior notice. US passport holders traveling to Sri Lanka are encouraged to contact the Embassy of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka for consular consultation and further information and confirmation:
Sri Lanka Embassy, United States
2148 Wyoming Avenue, NW
Telephone: (202) 483-4025 / 483-4027 / 483-6236
Fax: (202) 232-7181
Sri Lanka Consulate
5371 Wilshire Boulevard
Suite # 201
Los Angeles, CA
Telephone: (323) 634-0479 / 634-1079 / 634-1082
Fax: (323) 634-1095