US citizens are required to obtain visas before traveling to Suriname. Those intending to remain in Suriname for longer than 3 months must apply for Authorization for Temporary Stay (MVK) before traveling to Suriname, and are advised not to purchase their airline tickets until their applications have been approved. The application for MVK must be submitted at least 3 months before the intended date of arrival in Suriname.
Any US citizen arriving in Suriname from Guyana, French Guiana or Brazil must present proof of yellow fever vaccination.
There is an airport departure tax and terminal fee but these are normally included in the price of the airfare. Travelers are advised to confirm this with their carrier.
General Requirements – Tourist or Business Visa:
- Valid passport. It is advised that travelers ensure their passports are valid for at least 6 months beyond the expected duration of the trip to Suriname.
- Copy of itinerary and/or round trip ticket.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form.
- For business visa: Letter from company in the US stating purpose and duration of the trip, detailing intent to financially support applicant while in Suriname.
- 1 recent passport photo.
- For children below 18 years old:
- Birth certificate showing the names of both parents;
- If applicable: Photocopy of legal documents pertaining to custody;
- Legalized letter of consent:
- If child is traveling with one parent: Letter of consent authorizing travel must be legalized by the other parent;
- If child is traveling alone: Notarized letter of consent from both parents allowing their child to travel;
- In case one or both parents are deceased: Death certificate.
- Applicants should allow 3-5 working days for processing of visa application.
Visa Processing Fee:
The visa processing fee is payable in cash (in the exact amount only) or by Money Order, Certified Cheque or Company Checque. Personal Cheques are not accepted. The visa fees for US passport holders are as follows:
- Tourist Visa (up to 5 years multiple entry): US$100.00
- Business Visa (up to 5 years multiple entry): US$100.00
- Transit Visa (valid for 3 days): US$15.00
- Official/Service Visa: Gratis
- Diplomatic Visa: Gratis
Mailing and Handling Fee:
Express Mail US: US$20
Registered Mail US: US$15
(or enclose SASE)
Application forms with their attached supporting documentations, as well as inquiries on visa requirements for Suriname must be directed to:
Embassy of the Republic of Suriname
4301 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Telephone: (202) 244-7488 and 7590
Fax: (202) 244-5878
The information provided here is subject to change without prior notice. It is the traveler’s responsibility to confirm visa and entry regulations for Suriname before traveling.