US citizens traveling to Tanzania are required to present valid passports and visas. Visas are obtainable at the Embassy of Tanzania in the US or at any port of entry with immigration officials. However, it is strongly advised that US citizens obtain their visas to Tanzania prior to traveling to avoid delays at entry points. US passports will need to be valid for 6 months more than the visa validity.
Foreigners are advised to review their visa category carefully, as volunteer activity is strictly prohibited on a tourist visa. Before entering Tanzania, US citizens should ensure their status with a sponsoring organization for short or long-term volunteer projects.
Due to a current outbreak of yellow fever, all travelers arriving in Tanzania are required to present a valid certificate of yellow fever vaccination at all ports of entry.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form (downloadable in PDF or WORD format).
- US passport with validity of at least 6 months beyond the date of the visa being applied for.
- 2 recently-taken passport-size photographs.
- If applying by mail: Self-addressed, stamped return envelope for the return of applicant’s passport.
- Non-refundable visa fee.
- Proof of travel plans to and from Tanzania: Flight itinerary, tickets, tour operator package receipts.
- For minors (children below the age of 18): Notarized letter jointly signed by parents or legal guardians approving travel of the minor.
- For business visa: Letter of invitation from a Tanzanian counterpart or letter of intent for the same by the applicant’s company or organization.
- For research and journalism visa: Clearance issued by the Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH) and Tanzania Information Services (MAELZEO), respectively.
P.O. BOX 4302, Dar es salaam –Tanzania
Telephone: 255-22-270.0750 / 270.0745
P.O. BOX 9142, Dar es salaam -Tanzania
Telephone: 255-22-211-0585 / 212.2771 / 211.2860
Fax: 255-22-211-3814 / 211-6474
- Visa processing takes a minimum of 5 business days. An expediting service for processing of applications is accepted for an additional fee of US$20.00. Expedited processing takes 3 business days.
- The duration of stay in Tanzania is determined by the immigration officer at the port of entry.
Visa Processing Fees:
The accepted forms of payment for the visa processing fee are cash, Money Order, Credit Card or Personal Checks. Payments made by Personal Checks must be accompanied by valid US driver’s license. Without this, the Personal Check payment will not be accepted and the application will not be processed.
Those providing Personal Checks or Credit/Debit Cards as payment for the visa fees are authorizing the Embassy to charge an additional US$2.00 from their account for each check or transaction.
- US passport holders: US$100 for 12 months multiple entry
- Non-US passport holders: US$50 for single entry and US$100 for double entry
The information gathered here are subject to change without prior notice. Please confirm the latest visa and entry requirements by contacting:
Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania
1232 22nd St. NW
Telephone: (202) 884-1080 / (202) 939-6125
Fax: (202) 797-7408
Permanent Representative of Tanzania to the United Nations
201 East 42nd Street, Suite 1700
New York, NY
Telephone: (212) 972-9160
Fax: (212) 682-5232