US citizens entering Timor-Leste by air are issued visas on arrival for a fee of $30 for a 30-day tourist visa. Visas on arrival may be applied for at the International Airport in Dili. Those entering by land must obtain visas prior to traveling to Timor-Leste. Visas on arrival are no longer available at the land border with Indonesia. Renewal of the 30-day visa is possible for an additional fee.
General Requirements – Visa-on-Arrival:
- Fully accomplished arrivals card found at the border post.
- US passport with validity of 6 months beyond the date of entry into Timor-Leste. The passport must also contain at least 1 whole unused page for the visa sticker.
- Proof of intention of a genuine visit (tourist or business trip).
- Proof of accommodation arrangements.
- Return or onward tickets or present ability to fund departure.
- Evidence of sufficient funds to support the visitor for their length of stay in Timor-Leste. Each foreigner must have access to US$100 for each entry and US$50 for each day of stay.
- US$30 visa fee, in cash. There may be no ATM or money changing facilities at the border post.
Foreigners intending to remain in Timor-Leste for more than 30 days, or are traveling to Timor-Leste to study or work, must obtain the proper visas prior to arrival. For the most current visa requirements and entry requirements, US citizens are advised to contact:
Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
4201 Connecticut Ave. NW
Telephone: (202) 966-3202
Fax: (202) 966-3205
Website: http://timorlesteembassy.org/ / http://migracao.gov.tl/