Click Here for the Best Honolulu Hotel Deals!
Save Big NOW on all Hotel Bookings with a $100 Cash Back Rebate!
STA Travel USA
$20 off QANTAS Airways Student Tickets at STATravel.com with code QANTAS. Valid through 3/31 so book now!
Find Last Minute Deals at hotels.com!
US citizens require a valid passport to travel to UAE. For touristic or personal travel of less than 30 days, US citizens can obtain visitor visas at the port of entry for free. Any US citizen traveling to the UAE intending to secure the visitor visa upon arrival must carry with them their US passports with validity of at least 6 months beyond the date of arrival and must also present return or onward airline tickets. It is also recommended to carry proof of sufficient funds.
Those intending to stay for more than 30 days, or are coming to the UAE for work or permanent residence, the appropriate visas or permits must be obtained in advance of arrival in UAE.
Additionally, a full medical exam is required for those seeking work or residence permits, including an HIV/AIDS test which must be done after arriving in UAE. Tests done for HIV/AIDS in the US is not honored upon arrival in UAE. There have been reports of US citizens who tested positive for HIV or hepatitis that have been detained and deported.
The UAE Government requires all foreign persons residing in the UAE, including US citizens, to obtain a national identification card. The Emirates Identity Authority has more information on the card registration procedures and requirements.
General Requirements – Stays of more than 30 days:
- 2 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application forms. The application must be filled/typed online. Answers must include the particulars of the Sponsor/Host in the UAE and Residence Address where the applicant will stay in the UAE. US citizens do not need to complete the section titled “Accompanied By”. The Sponsor/Host must be based in the UAE.
- Signed, original US passport with validity of at least 6 months from the proposed date of arrival in the UAE.
- Copy of the valid US passport.
- 2 original passport size photographs.
- Invitation letter from host in the UAE:
- If visiting an individual: The letter must include, in detail, clear invitation to visit; full name of host; relationship between the applicant and host; residence address and telephone number of the host; acceptance of responsibility for applicant while they are in the UAE; estimated duration of visit and reason for staying that long.
- If visiting an organization: The letter must be in official letterhead and include clear invitation to visit; organization name; acceptance of responsibility for applicant while in the UAE; name and telephone number of the applicant’s point of contact within the organization.
- If visiting an individual: Copy of the host’s passport and copy of the host’s residency permit in the UAE.
- If visiting an organization: Copy of the organization’s business license in the UAE.
- Employment letter:
- For the employed: Letter from employer, on company letterhead, stating the applicant’s position in the company.
- For the self-employed: A copy of the business license.
- For the retired, homemaker or student: Letter from the applicant’s bank stating that they are in good standing.
- Cover letter from the applicant detailing the following:
- Reason for staying that long in UAE
- Specific request for the visa
- If applying by mail: Prepaid, self-addressed envelope with tracking number (US Express Mail, FedEx or UPS).
- Non-refundable visa processing fee: Money order or cashier’s check in the amount of US$51 made payable to the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates.
- Visa processing takes a minimum of 3 business days.
- The visa validity is up to 10 years, for a maximum stay of 6 months per entry.
- The Consul reserves the right to determine the length of the visa.
- UAE immigration officers reserve the right to change the visa and validity. US citizens should carefully check their passports when they go through the airport in the UAE.
US citizens are strongly advised to contact the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates for the most up-to-date visa and entry requirements for the UAE well in advance of travel. The above-mentioned are subject to change at any time.
Embassy of the United Arab Emirates
3522 International Court, NW
Telephone: (202) 243–2400 / 243-2460 (Visa queries)
Fax: (202) 243-2432