United States Visa online
STA Travel USA
Save $20 off any Air New Zealand student ticket from STA Travel when you use promo code NEWZEALAND at statravel.com. Valid through 3/31.
United Kingdom Visa online
Save between $20 and $100 on all Hotel Bookings Now with hotels.com!
Portugal is a party to the Schengen agreement and as such, US citizens may enter the country for stays of up to 90 days without visas for touristic or business purposes.
Foreigners are required to register with immigration officials within 3 working days of their arrival especially if they are staying in private accommodations. Visitors who opt to reside in hotels while in Portugal are automatically registered upon checking in.
Travelers are strongly advised to ensure that their entry is properly documented by obtaining a stamp at an official point of entry, or by downloading a declaration of entry (declaracão de entrada). The declaration of entry should then be submitted to a local SEF office (Portuguese Immigration Services) or police station within 3 days of entry. Those found to have no entry stamp on their passports upon departure may be questioned about their visit in the Schengen countries. If an individual fails to prove how long they stayed, they can be fined upon departure.
For stays of more than 90 days, or for visits of purposes other than tourism or business, US passport holders should apply for visas through the Embassy of Portugal.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form. If an applicant is unable to appear in person (such as if residing more than 2 hours away by car), the signature on the visa form must be notarized by an American Notary Public. Applicants should indicate a daytime telephone number on their visa application form.
- 1 passport size photograph glued to the space provided on the visa application form.
- Original US passport which must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date of the visa being applied for.
- Original letter of invitation, official invitation company letter (for business travelers) or proof of participation in group travel.
- Proof of valid return or onward travel at the end of stay in Portugal: Confirmed flight reservation and itinerary.
- Travel health/accident insurance, covering accident/medical/hospital expenses, and repatriation costs, if necessary.
- Proof of sufficient funds: Bank statements, traveler’s checks, letter of employment, international credit card, etc.
- Proof of accommodations: hotel reservation or, if staying with family or friends, an official letter of invitation signed by your host must be submitted. The host’s signature must be notarized by the local authorities of the relevant Schengen country.
Notes: If the host is a citizen of Portugal or of another European Union country, he/she/ must include copy of identification Card or national passport; if a legal resident of Portugal or of another E.U. country, proof of legal residency must also be submitted.
Applicants married to/or children of Portuguese or E.U. citizens must also submit copy of spouse’s or parent’s passport or national ID card.
- Proof of U.S. residency permit: original of alien residency card, or valid U.S. visa with original form I-94 and/or I-20, I-AP 66, or I-512, if applicable. Visas and permits to re-enter the U.S. must be valid for 3 months beyond date of expiration of the Schengen visa. Schengen visas cannot be issued to holders of tourist B1/B2 visas.
If applying for transit visa, a ticket showing destination to the final country must be presented.
- If the applicant is a minor, written consent of the parent or guardian having custody of the child. The signatures on this document must be notarized.
- Visa fees vary depending on the type of visa, duration of stay, and the exchange rate. Visa fees are payable in cash or money order only.
- Stamped, self-addressed and prepaid envelope (certified or express mail, FEDEX, UPS etc.) if the passport is to be mailed to you once the visa is ready.
- The Embassy reserves the right to request for additional documentation when deemed necessary.
Visa Processing Fees:
The visa fee is payable by certified check, money order or cash. Personal checks are not accepted. Please note that the visa fee is subject to change due to the Euro exchange rate.
- Transit visa (5 days maximum stay, when transiting to a country outside of the Schengen area): US$84.80
- Short stay (up to 90 days, for single, double or multiple entry): US$84.80
The information contained herein is subject to change at any time. US citizens are advised to contact the Portuguese Embassy for confirmation on the visa, entry and exit requirements.
Embassy of the Portuguese Republic
2012 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Telephone: (202) 350-5400
Fax: (202) 462-3726
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org