Chicago-style hotdogs is one of the things that make Chicago a fun place to live in or visit. Locals know this and tourists wouldn’t go home without tasting one. It is only natural to find a lot of restaurants serving hotdogs but no one does it quite like Hot Doug’s.
Hot Doug’s is known for being a self-proclaimed “Sausage Superstore and Encased Meat Emporium”. This innovative hotdog place transformed the usual Chicago-style hotdog by offering a diverse and exotic menu. They offer 18 different choices on any given day, making it a challenge for the customer to decide which one to order or try first. They even have items named after famous celebrities, legendary comedians or Chicago Cubs baseball players.
Aside from the basic char dog, Hot Doug’s menu options include boar, rabbit, pheasant, kangaroo and duck. They also have vegan and chicken hotdog. Of course, it’s worth mentioning that they have foie gras-based sausages as well. It is hard to pick just one favorite and one visit is not enough to satisfy your curiosity about the different types of hotdogs served. Below is a sample of Hot Doug’s menu. Remember, they often change so some of this may not be available when you visit.
- The Dog: Original Chicago-style hotdog with all the trimmings
- The Elvis: Polish hotdog; smoked and savory
- The Paul Kelly: Bratwurst; soaked in Beer
- The Brigitte Bardot: Andouille Sausage; mighty hot
- The Norm Crosby: Thuringer; beef, pork and garlic
- The Steve Swisher: Chicken Sausage; classic Italian-style
- The Dave Pound: Corn Dog; deep fried
- Duck Fat Fries: French fries dipped in duck fat
- Turducken Dog: Turkey, Duck and Chicken
- Today’s Specials: changes daily
Toppings include mustards, caramelized and raw onions, chili, cheese, tomatillo and marinara sauce.
Hot Doug’s has been a popular destination for the longest time. Customers may need to wait in line during lunch hours and weekends, sometimes for an hour or more. However, it is guaranteed that your wait will be worth it.
Hot Doug’s Inc.
Hours of Operation
Monday to Saturday: 10:30am to 4pm