Countries have different prerequisites for travelers who would like to enter their country and stay for a particular amount of time. This may be to work, study, or just visit and tour the country. Canadian passport holders must first get in touch with the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Laos, or Lao People’s Democratic Republic, to get information about the requirements needed for travelling to Laos. They may encounter problems if they enter the country without the necessary visa or permits needed.
Canadian passport holders can apply for a visa for traveling to Laos at the Embassy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic in Washington DC. Travelers can also get hold of a tourist visa when they arrive at Laos’ major international airports located in Wattay, Luang Prabang and Pakse. Another option would be to travel to Thailand or Vietnam, and get a Laos tourist visa at the border. But if a Canadian passport holder is traveling to Laos for matters other than tourism, they must get hold of a visa before their planned travel.
Canadian passport holders must also remember to carry with them certification that they have had immunization against yellow fever. They must also take note that the Canadian government has issued security warnings and crime alerts for their citizens who are traveling to Laos.
Visa application requirements:
- Two fully accomplished visa application forms
- 3 photographs (passport size and recent)
- Canadian passport (valid for at least 6 months)
- Prepaid self-addressed envelope (for applications sent by mail)
- Paid visa application and service fee : US$57.00
- All fees can only be paid by certified check or money order.
- Approved visas can only be used for a single entry to Laos within two months after date of issue.
- Visa processing can usually be done on the same day for applications done in person, and may take a few additional days for those sent by mail.
- For tourist visas issued in Laos or at the borders, travelers are required to submit a passport sized photograph and pay US$42.00.
- Travelers should make sure that their passports get stamped by Laos’s immigration officials when they enter the country in order to avoid encountering any problems such as arrest, penalties or deportation.
- Travelers are also required to pay an airport departure tax when leaving Laos.
- Applications can be done personally or sent by mail to the Embassy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic in Washington, DC. Inquiries about travel to Laos can also be directed to the embassy.
Embassy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic
2222 S Street NW
Telephone: (202) 328 9148 / 328 9148
Fax: (202) 332-4923