Canadians visiting Timor-Leste need visas to enter; however, visas are issued upon arrival (for those traveling by air) based on length of stay and purpose of the visit. The visa fee is US$30 for a 30-day stay. Canadians will need to present their passports with validity of at least 6 months beyond the intended departure date from Timor-Leste. Visas may also be extended for a fee of US$30 for each subsequent 30-day period up to a maximum of 90 days. Those arriving in Timor-Leste by land are required to obtain visas prior to arrival.
Foreigners intending to work in Timor-Leste require work permits that are issued only to those who possess a letter of authority confirming their place of employment.
A departure tax of US$10 is required upon departure.
General Requirements – Visa-on-Arrival:
- Fully accomplished arrivals card found at the border post.
- Canadian passport with validity exceeding that of the length of stay by 6 months. The passport must also contain at least 1 whole unused page for the visa sticker.
- Proof of intention of a genuine visit (tourist or business trip).
- Proof of accommodation arrangements.
- Return or onward tickets or present ability to fund departure.
- Evidence of sufficient funds to support the visitor for their length of stay in Timor-Leste. Each foreigner must have access to US$100 for each entry and US$50 for each day of stay.
- US$30 visa fee, in cash. There may be no ATM or money changing facilities at the border post. Travelers should carry the exact amount.
The information provided here is subject to change without notice. Timor-Leste is not represented in Canada by an embassy or consular office. For inquiries on the most current visa and entry requirements, please contact the nearest Timor-Leste Embassy which can be found in the US.
Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
4201 Connecticut Ave. NW
Telephone: (202) 966-3202
Fax: (202) 966-3205
Website: http://timorlesteembassy.org/ / http://migracao.gov.tl/