Visa Requirements for Canada Passport Holders – United States (United States of America)

Canadian citizens do not require visas to enter the United States when coming directly from Canada for touristic purposes. However, all Canadians entering the United States require passports.

For all other purposes, visas must be obtained before traveling to the United States. As a general rule, Canadians are granted up to a 6-month stay in the US at the time of entry. Requests for extension or adjustment of stay should be made in advance of expiry of the visa to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

All visa applicants are advised of the 3 steps in the process of applying for a nonimmigrant visa to the United States:

  1. Complete an online application form called the DS-160.
  2. Schedule an appointment for a visa interview.
  3. Attend the in-person interview and present the required documents.

After completing the DS-160, the applicant will electronically submit the application and will be provided with a confirmation page that contains limited biographical information and a bar code. This confirmation page must be brought by the applicant with them to the interview. The online application must be completely and properly filled in order for it to be processed.

General Requirements – B1 and B2 Visa (Business and Tourist Travel)

  1. Printout of DS-160 Confirmation Page  with legible bar code
  2. Canadian passport with validity of at least 6 months
  3. Original or certified copy of proof of legal status in Canada
  4. Older passports containing previous visas
  5. Documents proving previous legal status in the US
  6. If applicable: Reciprocity fee
  7. Evidence of sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the US
  8. Proof of ties/residency in a country outside the US which the applicant has no intention of abandoning
  9. Evidence proving purpose of trip
  10. For business visitors: Domestic Employees accompanying or following to join employers in order to perform their duties in the U.S. must present a copy of their employment contract(s) and proof of a minimum of one year of employment with that employer as a domestic employee.

The information provided here is subject to change at any time. Canadians traveling to the US must obtain the most up-to-date information concerning visa, entry and exit requirements.

Embassy of the United States of America
490 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 1G8
Telephone: (613) 238-5335 / 688-5335 (24 Hours) / 238-5335 (Consular Section)
Fax: (613) 688-3088 / 688-3082 (Consular Section)
Email: / (Consular Section)

Mailing Address:
Embassy of the United States of America
PO Box 866
Station B
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5T1

Consulates of the United States of America

615 Macleod Trail S.E
10th Floor
Calgary, Alberta
T2G 4T8
Telephone: (403) 266-8962
Fax: (403) 266-6630

Purdy’s Wharf Tower II
1969 Upper Water Street, Suite 904
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 3R7
Telephone: (902) 429-2480 / 429-2485 (24 Hours)
Fax: (902) 423-6861

1155, rue Saint-Alexandre
Montreal, Quebec
H3B 3Z1
Telephone: (514) 398-9695 / 981-5059 (24 Hours)
Fax: (514) 398-0973 / 398-9748 (Consular Section)

2, rue de la Terrasse-Dufferin
Quebec, Quebec
G1R 4T9
Telephone: (418) 692-2095 / 692-2096 (24 Hours)
Fax: (418) 692-4640

360 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 1S4
Telephone: (416) 595-1700 / 201-4100 (24 Hours)
Fax: (416) 595-0051
Email: (US Visa Inquiries)

1095 West Pender Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6E 2M6
Telephone: (604) 685-4311
Fax: (604) 685-5285, -7304

201 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 3K6
Telephone: (204) 940-1800
Fax: (204) 940-1809

VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 8.0/10 (1 vote cast)
VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Visa Requirements for Canada Passport Holders – United States (United States of America), 8.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating