British passport holders need to obtain visas when traveling to Tanzania. Single entry tourist visas can be obtained at the main ports of entry to Tanzania; however, this is subject to the fulfillment of all immigration requirements. It is highly advised for British passport holders to apply for visas before departure from the UK at the nearest Tanzania High Commission, especially those needing multiple entry visas.
Please be advised that working, even as a volunteer, in Tanzania is prohibited on a tourist visa. For this, a Class C work permit should be obtained from the Tanzania High Commission in advance of arrival. British travelers should ensure that their passports are valid for at least 6 months beyond the intended departure date from Tanzania.
Due to a current outbreak of yellow fever, all visitors to Tanzania must be able to present a valid certificate of yellow fever vaccination.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form.
- Original British passport with remaining validity of at least 6 months beyond the date of intended departure from Tanzania.
- 2 recent passport-size photographs.
- For business visa: Letter of invitation from counterpart in Tanzania.
- For applications sent by post: Self-addressed envelope (Special Delivery by royal mail) for the return of passport and visa.
- Non-refundable visa fee.
- Expediting service (24 hour service) is available for a fee of £5 that has to be paid on top of the regular visa processing fee. Please note there are no expediting services for applications lodged by post.
- Applicants submitting their applications by post should refrain from contacting the High Commission regarding the status of their application unless they wish to withdraw the application or 10 working days have elapsed since the High Commission has received the applications. To obtain confirmation on whether the application has been received by the High Commission, applicants are advised to use the Royal Mail track and trace website.
Visa Processing Fees:
Applications lodged in person should be accompanied with the payment in cash or postal order made payable to the Tanzania High Commission.
Payment options for applications lodged by post:
- Deposit the appropriate amount in the Tanzania High Commission Barclays bank account (at any Barclays bank branch). Applicants should then send the original receipt or original bank deposit stub with their applications.
- Purchase a postal order from the post office, made payable to the Tanzania High Commission.
- For applicants from the Republic of Ireland: Arrange a bank draft with the applicant’s bank of the appropriate amount including an additional £5 for postage, made payable to the Tanzania High Commission.
- £38 single entry, valid for 2 months
- £80 multiple entry, valid for 6 months
- £100 multiple entry, valid for 12 months
* A multiple entry visa permits the bearer a maximum of 2 months stay in Tanzania per visit.
The information gathered here are subject to change without prior notice. British passport holders should contact the Tanzania High Commission for confirmation on the visa and entry requirements, well in advance of planned travel.
High Commission for the United Republic of Tanzania
3 Stratford Place
Telephone: (020) 7569 1470
Fax: (020) 7491 3710