Visa Requirements for UK Passport Holders – Australia (Commonwealth of Australia)

United Kingdom passport holders are required a visa when entering Australia.  Here is the information by which you can determine how to apply for a tourist or a business visa.

Tourist Visa

As a UK passport holder, your visa will electronically be processed.   You will not need to submit any application form, but instead, only apply online.  These are the types of tourist visa which you can avail of.

Short Stay Electronic Travel Authority (ETA, subclass 976)

This type of visa will allow you to stay in the country for up to three months, for twelve months from the time it was issued.  Remember that when you fill out the online application, the passport number that you will provide will be the same passport you will use for the visa.

You must abide by the conditions of the visa while you are staying in Australia.  If you do not comply, your visa may be cancelled and will have corresponding penalties as well.  Working while using a tourist visa is prohibited, but volunteer work may be acceptable.  Engaging in studies or training is allowed, provided it does not exceed three months.  If you are 11 years of age and will be attending class in a classroom environment, you will then be required to undergo x-ray examination before you do so.  You must be free from tuberculosis at the time you travel to the country.  You must also depart the country within the validity of the tourist visa.  Should you be found to be with criminal convictions upon arriving in Australia, you may be refused entry.

Fees and Charges

There is no charge for the ETA visa.

Long Stay Tourist Visa (subclass 676)

This visa allows you to stay up to twelve months, and to enter the country at a single time, or multiple times.

This type of visa is unlike ETA in that it is not processed instantly.  There is a 20-day processing time, but it can be delayed because of the additional documentation that you would need to pass.

The same conditions apply for this visa class as that of the ETA class, with a few additions.

If you are over the age of 70, you should have evidence to show that you have health insurance to cover you while you are in the country.  You will also be required to undergo a medical exam with a certified doctor to prove that you are fit to travel to Australia. You must present proof that you are capable of staying in Australia for an extended period of time.  You will also need to present that you have sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Failure to comply will result in the denial of your application for this visa.

Fees and Charges

You must pay AUD 105 when applying for the tourist visa.  Credit card payments are accepted for online application.

Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)

Otherwise known as the WHM visa, this type of visa gives people of ages 18 to 30 the opportunity to stay in Australia for 24 months.  Most working holiday visas are offered when the country has a reciprocating agreement with the other, in order to encourage cultural exchange between the two countries.  What is good about this type of visa is that you are allowed ‘casual working rights’ in order to supplement your stay in Australia.  Employment, however, with only one employer is not allowed for more than six months.  The work that you will be doing must only be incidental to the main purpose why you are traveling as well. The application for this type of visa must be done offshore.

To be eligible for this type of visa, you must be between the ages of 18 to 30.  Your passport must be valid with at least one year before it needs to be renewed, and you should have enough funds to support yourself when you arrive in Australia.

You should also not have any criminal convictions that would pose a risk to the Australian community.  Furthermore, you should not have any medical conditions, especially if you intend to study or work in the medical field or in child care centers.  You will be subjected to medical examinations to prove that you are free from certain kinds of diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis.

You can extend your working holiday visa, but only if you undertook employment as a ‘specified worker.’  These include industries such as fishing, mining, agriculture, and construction work.  Applying for an extension may be done offshore or within Australia.

Note to US Passport Holders: you may also apply for Australian Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462).  This is the same as the WHM but in that only US passport holders are eligible.

Fees and Charges

There is a fee of AUD 235 for the application of the WHM visa.

Business Visa

Short Stay Business Visa (ETA subclass 977)

You can stay for up to three months for business purposes using this type of visa.  It can cover attending conferences, negotiations, and for an exploratory business visit.  The same conditions for the ETA visa apply for this visa as well.

Long Stay Business Visa (ETA subclass 956)

The only difference this has with the short stay business visa is that it allows for multiple entries into the country.  For businessmen who regularly travel to Australia, this is something that may be beneficial for them.  There is however, a higher processing fee for this type of visa.

Fees and Charges

There is no charge for the subclass 977 but a service fee of AUD 20 applies.  For subclass 956, a AUD 90 fee applies.  The fees are non-refundable should you not meet the criteria for application.

More Information

You may find information related to your visa application in the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship website:


The Australian Government: Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Australian Travel Visa Advisor

VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)