US passport holders must have visas in order to be allowed to enter and stay in Kazakhstan. They will be allowed to stay in Kazakhstan for 30 days per entry. Visitors will not be able to get visas upon arrival in Kazakhstan. US passport holders also have to carry with them a medical certificate of clearance for HIV/AIDS. They must also abide to Kazakhstan policies regarding visa duration since if they overstay they can be banned from entering Kazakhstan for 5 years.
General Visa Requirements:
- Fully completed visa application form
- Valid US passport
- 1 blank page
- 6 months validity longer than visa expiration
- Original and 1 photocopy
- Visa request letter addressed to Consular Section of the Embassy of Kazakhstan with details of trip purpose, duration, itinerary and contact person in Kazakhstan
- 1 passport-sized photograph
- For business visa:
- Letter of invitation from Kazakhstan host organization Submitted to Kazakhstan’s Department of Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (for multiple entry visas) – must contain applicant’s name, inviting company or organization, exact dates and itinerary, letter from company of applicant with company details and purpose of trip, Visa support number from Kazakhstan’s Department of Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- For diplomatic and official visa:
- For applicants from US Government or US Agencies – Official letter from agency or, department and Passport Services of the United States Department of State
- For applicants from the United Nations – Official letter from Protocol and Liaison Service to the United Nations
- For home stay visit visa:
- Invitation letter for temporary visit that friends or relatives sent from Kazakhstan to applicant. This can be obtained from Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and has a one year validity
- For private visa:
- Letter of invitation from a Kazakhstan regional Department of the Ministry of Education which was authenticated by the Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- For tourist visa:
- Copy of invitation letter from Kazakhstan host tourist company (for multiple entry visas)
- Visa support number obtained from Kazakhstan’s Department of Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (for multiple entry visas)
- For transit visa (5 days):
- Approved and original visa to destination country
- Copy of travel itinerary and tickets
- Visa application fees:
- Single entry visa (business, private, home stay) – $60.00
- Double entry visa (3 months) – $90.00
- Triple entry visa (3 months) – $105.00
- Multiple entry visa (1 year) – $200.00
- Tourist visa, single entry – $40.00
- Tourist visa, double entry (3 months) – $60.00
- Transit visa – $30.00
- Diplomatic/Official visa – free
- Visa applications can be submitted personally either at the Consular section of the Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in Washington DC or at the Consulate of the Republic of Kazakhstan in New York. The Embassy and Consulate serves different states and jurisdictions.
Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan
1401 16th Street, NW
Telephone: (202) 232-5488
Fax: (202) 232-5845 / 232-3996 (Consular Section)
Consular Section: 9:00AM – 12:00PM (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri)
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia.
Consulate of the Republic of Kazakhstan in New York
305 E 47 Street, Third Floor
New York, NY
Telephone: (212) 888-3024 / 230-1900 ext 17
Fax: (212) 230-1172
9:00AM – 12:00PM (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri)
Alaska, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
- Visa processing usually takes 5 working days after receipt of application
- Applications sent by mail should include a prepaid self-addressed envelope. The Embassy or Consulate will not be held responsible for documents that get lost or damaged in transit.
- Embassy visa application fees can only be paid by money order. This should be made payable to the Embassy of Kazakhstan.
- For applications at the Consulate in New York, visa fees can be paid either by money order or company check payable to the Consulate of Kazakhstan in New York.
- Visa applications for children under the age of 16 are free regardless of category
- Foreign nationals are expected to go to any of Kazakhstan’s local Ministry of Internal Affairs Office and register within 72 hours after they arrive in the country. They can also register at any hotel near them offering the service. Failure to register can lead to fines.
- Visitors are not allowed to travel to areas near the border to China and different military camps.