US citizens intending to visit Mauritania are required to obtain a visa prior to arrival as visas are no longer obtainable at the airport or border crossings upon arrival. Travelers to Mauritania are warned that visa application processing take up to several months so it is strongly advised that applications be lodged well in advance of any planned trip to the country.
- Passport, valid for at least 6 months beyond expected departure date from Mauritania, along with a photocopy of each page.
- 2 recent passport-size photographs, glued to the application forms.
- 2 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application forms.
- Copy of airline itinerary or flight ticket.
- Copy of international certificate for yellow fever vaccination.
- For transit visa: Copies of onward tickets and visas (if applicable) to their destination.
- Copies of hotel reservation.
- Visa processing fee.
- For business visa: Company cover letter explaining the purpose of the trip.
- Visa applications must be submitted in person or via messenger. The Embassy will not be held responsible for loss of documents if applicants choose to submit their applications by mail or messenger.
Visa Processing Fee:
The visa fee should be paid in money order, made payable to the Embassy of Mauritania, or cashier’s check. Cash or personal checks are not accepted. The fee is non-refundable.
- Transit visa: US$60
- Short stay visa: US$77
- Long stay visa: US$116
For further information on immigration requirements, please contact:
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania
2129 Leroy Place NW
Telephone: (020) 232-5700
Fax: (020) 319-2623