Visa Requirements for US Passport Holders – Mexico

As of March 1, 2010, all US citizens, including children, have been mandated to present a valid passport or passport card when traveling outside the “border zone” to the immigration authority at the point of entry to Mexico. The “border zone” is defined as an area within 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the US, depending on the location. Regardless of the destination in Mexico, all US citizens from age 16 above must present a valid US passport book or passport card to re-enter the US by land. A passport book is necessary to return to the United States via an international flight.

All US passport holders traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea are obliged to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport book or a passport card to come back to the United States. Legal permanent residents having their I-551 Permanent Resident card may board flights to the United States from Mexico.

Visas are not required of US passport holders to enter Mexico for stays of up to 180 days.

Entry Requirements for Tourist Travel

  • Tickets and documents for return or onward travel
  • No visa required for stay up to six months
  • Tourist Card (Form FMT) is required
  • Minor children under 14 years of age traveling alone should be met by an adult

Entry Requirements for Business Travel

  • Tickets and documents for return or onward travel
  • No visa required for stay up to three months
  • Business Negotiations Card (Form FMN) is required

Information gathered here are subject to change without prior notice. US passport holders traveling to Mexico are advised to contact the Mexican Embassy for further consular assistance and confirmation.

Embassy of Mexico

1911 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC
Telephone: (202) 728-1600

VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)