Visas are required of US citizens intending to travel to Syria. These must be obtained before departing the United States, as visas are not obtainable upon arrival in Syria. US citizens are also advised to obtain multiple-entry visas should they be planning to visit neighboring countries even for short day trips.
All foreigners who wish to remain in Syria for more than 15 days are required to register with Syrian immigration authorities by their 15th day in the territory. A departure tax is charged for all visitors, except those traveling on diplomatic passports. The departure tax for land and sea travel is currently at 500 Syrian Pounds (~$11), however, this does not apply to children under 11 years old.
US citizens should be aware that the Syrian government strictly enforces restrictions on prior travel to Israel. Foreigners bearing Israeli visas or entry and exit stamps are not allowed to enter Syria. Syrian officials are also sensitive about to travel to Iraq.
- US passport with validity of at least 6 months upon submission.
- 2 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application forms.
- 1 passport-size photograph, attached to a visa application form.
- If applying by mail: Self-addressed, stamped return envelope (FedEx or Express mail).
- Non-refundable visa fee.
- Applications may be lodged personally, or sent to the Embassy (addresses provided below).
- Those who are personally delivering their visa applications to the Embassy are informed that the Embassy is open from 9:15 am to 3:15 pm Monday through Friday.
Visa Processing Fee:
All visa fees must be paid by money order to “Embassy of Syria”. Cash and personal cheques are not accepted. Fees are as follows:
- US citizens: US$131 (one, two or multiple entries)
- Non-US citizens are advised to contact the Syrian Embassy for more information on the applicable visa fees.
The information provided here is subject to change without prior notice. US citizens are advised to verify visa and entry requirements before making travel plans.
Embassy of Syria
2215 Wyoming Avenue NW
Telephone: (202) 232-6316
Fax: (202) 265-4585 (Consular Affairs, Passports and Visas)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com