US citizens are allowed to enter Taiwan without visas for stays of up to 30 days, as long as their US passports are valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry in Taiwan, return or onward airline tickets and valid visas for the next destination (if applicable). However, no extension of stay or change of status is allowed for those entering Taiwan on the visa waiver program.
Those arriving in Taiwan with valid passports and visas may be allowed to stay for 90 days.
General Requirements – Visitor Visa:
- US passport with remaining validity of at least 6 months.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form.
- 2 recent (taken within the last 3 months), colored passport-size photographs (showing the front of the face).
- Copy of itinerary detailing arrival and departure dates, or confirmed airline ticket or E-ticket.
- Documents to support the purpose of visit.
- For non-US citizens: US Permanent Resident Card.
- For business purposes: Invitation letter from Taiwan and letter of employment with current company on company letterhead.
- For tourism purposes: Letter from employer to confirm position in company or status letter from school, I-20 and a copy of student ID, invitation letter or travel plan and financial statement.
- For applications sent by mail: Self-addressed envelope with return postage by Certified Mail, Priority with Mail Delivery Confirmation, Registered Mail or Express Mail is required (stamps only, no meter postage).
- The Consular Division reserves the right to ask for additional documents when deemed necessary.
- Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) reserves the right to withhold disclosure of the reasons for refusal of visa.
- TECO will not be held liable for delay or loss of documents sent by mail at the applicant’s request.
Visa Processing Fees:
The visa fee for US passport holders is US$140. Those applying by mail must pay their fees by money order or cashier’s check made payable to TECO. No personal checks are accepted.
The above information is subject to change without prior notice. US citizens intending to visit Taiwan are strongly advised to verify the visa and entry requirements in advance of departure from the US.
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office
4201 Wisconsin Avenue
Telephone: (202)-895-1800 / 895-1885 / 669-0180
1180 West Peachtree Street
Suite 800, Atlantic Center Plaza
Telephone: (404) 870-9375
Fax: (404) 870-9376
Two Prudential Plaza, 57th Floor
180 North Stetson Avenue
Telephone: (312) 616-0100 / 636-4758
Fax: (312) 616-1490
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
3100 Broadway, Suite 800
Kansas City, MO
Telephone: (816)531-1298 / 522-9546
Fax: (816) 531-3066
TECO in San Francisco
555 Montgomery Street, Suite 501
San Francisco, CA
Telephone: 415-362-7680 / 415-265-1351