US citizens intending to travel to Tajikistan are required to obtain visas at the Embassy of Tajikistan in the United States, or from countries where Tajikistan is represented. Tajik embassies are also located in United Kingdom, Afghanistan (Kabul, Mazori Sharif), Austria, Belarus, Belgium, China, Egypt, Germany, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (Dubai), and Uzbekistan.
Valid US passports and visas are required not only for travel to and from Tajikistan, but also to register at hotels.
If a visitor is traveling to Tajikistan from a country where there are no Tajik representations, they may apply for a visitor visa at the Dushanbe International Airport upon arrival.
All foreigners intending to remain in Tajikistan for 3 days or more are required to obtain a Tajik visa registration stamp in their passports within 3 days of arrival. Travelers on official business, employees of international organizations and journalists must register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). If traveling for other purposes, it is a must to register with OVIR. Exempt from this rule are those holding T (Tourism) visas that only plan to stay in Tajikistan for less than 30 days. Failure to register may lead to prohibition from exiting Tajikistan by airport immigration authorities until a fine has been paid and registration stamps from either the MFA or OVIR have been obtained.
Those entering the Gorno-Badakshan region, from both inside and outside Tajikistan will require a special permit in addition to the Tajik visa. This should be obtained in advance at Tajik Embassies and Consulates abroad by applying to the MFA or OVIR once in Tajikistan.
- 2 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application forms. Applicants must indicate entry and exit date being applied for.
- 2 passport-size photographs.
- US passport with at least 6 months remaining validity beyond the date of expected departure from Tajikistan.
- Photocopy of the 1st page of the passport.
- For private visits: Invitation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tajikistan or Interior Affairs.
- Cover letter of request from organization or travel agency.
- For children under 16 years old: Notarized letter stating that the children will be accompanied by parents.
- If applying by mail: Completely-addressed, stamped return envelope or prepaid waybill bearing the account number showing the applicant as both shipper and recipient regardless of delivery address.
- For tourist purposes: Petition of tourist organizations which are licensed to engage in tourist activities.
- For educational purposes: Letter from educational or scientific institutions in Tajikistan detailing their acceptance of the applicant intending to undertake educational training in the territory.
- For business purposes: the letter-petition of representations of the foreign companies, organizations and the legal persons irrespective of their form of ownership.
- Visa fee, non-refundable.
- Applicants should ensure that all the fields in the visa application form are filled in. Please put N/A where not applicable.
- The Embassy will not be held responsible for delays or damage to/loss of documents while in transit.
- Visa processing usually takes 3 business days.
Visa Processing Fees:
The visa fees must be paid by money order or company checks made payable to the Embassy of Tajikistan. Cash or personal checks are not accepted.
- Single entry, valid for 2 weeks: US$80.00
- Single entry, valid for 1 month: US$90.00
- Single entry, valid for 2 months: US$100.00
- Single entry, valid for 3 months: US$130.00
- Single entry, valid for 1 year: US$220.00
- Multiple entry, valid for 1 month: US$120.00
- Multiple entry, valid for 2 months: US$130.00
- Multiple entry, valid for 3 months: US$160.00
- Multiple entry, valid for 1 year: US$260.00
- Tourist visa: US$26.00
- Student’s visa: US$50.00
- GBAO Permit: S$50.00
Please be informed that the details provided here are subject to change without prior notice. US citizens are strongly advised to obtain the most current visa requirements for Tajikistan well in advance of planned travel to avoid difficulties or delays.
The Embassy of the Republic of Tajikistan
1005 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Telephone: (202) 223-6090
Fax: (202) 223-6091
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com (Consular Section)