US citizens intending to travel to Zambia must obtain the appropriate visas prior to arrival in the country. However, single entry visas are available at the port of entry for a fee of US$50. In addition, visitors from a neighboring country, such as those visiting Victoria Falls from Zimbabwe, can obtain a day-trip visa at the border for US$20.
A multiple entry visa must be obtained in advance at a Zambian embassy or consulate. Alternately, the Zambian immigration provides an application by email service for those who wish to obtain multiple entry visas.
General Requirements (Multiple entry Tourist Visa applications by email):
- Copy of the bio-data page of valid US passport. The passport’s validity must exceed that of the requested visa by 6 months.
- Fully accomplished and duly signed visa application form (downloadable in PDF and DOC formats).
- Letter addressed to the Chief of Immigration detailing the purpose and length of visit.
- Send all the above-mentioned to ZambiaVisa@zamnet.zm.
- The applicant will receive a reply within 5 business days. If approved, the reply will contain a scanned letter of authorization of the visa issuance. The traveler should bring this letter with them to present to the Immigration Officer at the port of entry and pay for the multiple-entry visa fee.
- Those who are unable to lodge their applications online may apply at the Embassy of Zambia.
General Requirements (Applications at the Embassy):
- Original US passport with validity of at least 6 months beyond the date of intended departure from Zambia.
- Photocopy of the valid US passport.
- 2 fully accomplished and duly signed visa application forms (downloadable in PDF and DOC formats).
- 2 passport size photographs stapled to the visa application forms (upper right corner).
- Flight itinerary or a copy of ticket.
- For tourist visa: If available, please include a copy of tour itinerary.
- For business visa:
- Invitation letter from Zambia.
- Official cover letter.
- For visitor visa:
- Invitation letter from host/s in Zambia.
- For applications by mail: Prepaid, self-addressed return envelope.
Proof of yellow fever vaccination is required only for travelers who are entering Zambia from a country where the disease is prevalent. However, travelers to Zambia who are transiting South Africa from a country with yellow fever must have proof of yellow fever vaccination (even when they have remained on the plane and did not enter the country where the disease is endemic).
In addition, the Government of Zambia requires all visitors to have at least 2 unused visa pages on their passports upon entering Zambia. Similarly, those transiting South Africa should ensure that their passports contain at least 2 blank visa pages each time they seek to enter the country, aside from the endorsement and amendment pages. Travelers have reportedly been turned away because they did not meet this requirement.
Those who wish to engage in volunteer work while in Zambia should remember to obtain a business visa to avoid encountering difficulties with Zambian Immigration officials.
The aforementioned are all subject to amendments without notice. All US citizens intending to travel to Zambia are strongly advised to check with the Zambian Embassy concerning updated visa requirements beforehand.
Embassy of the Republic of Zambia
2419 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Telephone: (202) 265-9717
Fax: (202) 332- 0826
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org